Our mission is to provide compassionate, quality medical care to the medically under-served in the mountains of Appalachia.
About The Health Wagon
- The Health Wagon is a nonprofit organization providing mobile health services to the medically underserved in Southwest Virginia since 1980.
- The Health Wagon visits eleven sites in Virginia’s Buchanan, Dickenson, Russell, Lee, Scott, and Wise counties (and the City of Norton) to serve a severely medically underserved population.
- The Health Wagon’s staff consists of two Doctors of Nursing Practice, a Family Nurse Practitioner, two Registered Nurses, three Licensed Practical Nurses, an Outreach Coordinator, a Director of Operations, an Administrative Assistant, a Director of Development, a Data Systems Coordinator, and a Receptionist.
- Every dollar donated to the Health Wagon is approximately $100 reaped in health care benefits.
- In 2013, the Health Wagon assisted more than 11,000 patients obtain access to care valued at over $1 million.
- The Health Wagon provides:
- Acute Disease Management (Colds, Sore Throats)
- Chronic Disease Management
- (Hypertension, Diabetes, Dyslipidemia)
- Low Cost Lab Services
- Medication Assistance and Pharmacy Connect
- State of the Art Telemedicine capabilities with University of Virginia Health System with Specialists
- Physical Assessments
- Immunization Programs
- Health Teaching Components
- Referrals and Follow-up Systems
- Cardiac Specialty Clinics
- Nephrology Specialty Clinics with renal ultrasound
- Lung Cancer Early Detection Program with pulmonology consultation and chest x-ray
- Women’s Health – Pap Smears and Mammogram Assistance
- Community Health Fairs
- Cardiovascular Disease Outreach Screening Programs
- Remote Area Medical (RAM) Health Expedition
- Loan Closet for Medical Supplies
- Dental Clinics
- Eye Clinics
- And more…
- Through partnership with many pharmaceutical companies, the Virginia Health Care Foundation and Mountain Empire Older Citizens Agency, the Health Wagon’s Pharmacy Connect Program provided $1.2 million in pharmacy assistance to patients in 2013.
- The Health Wagon utilizes an advanced computer system and broadband telecommunications linkage to provide clinical, educational, and other specialty services to patients via telemedicine technologies. As a partnership with the University of Virginia Health System, the network is capable of rapidly transferring patient records and medical images – such as x-rays, CT and MRI scans, ultrasound recordings, and more.
Components of the Health Care Outreach
- Nearly one million residents of Virginia lack health insurance.
- The poverty rate among the population served by the Health Wagon is 70% to 140% higher than in the rest of Virginia.
- 43.4% live on incomes less than 200% of the federal poverty rate, compared with 27.1% statewide.
- 49.3% of those over the age of 25 do not have a high school diploma, compared with 24.8% statewide.
- Chronic unemployment rates are five times higher than the statewide average.
- Adults in the Health Wagon coverage area age 35-64 die 30% earlier than the same population in the rest of Virginia.
- Additionally, as compared with the rest of Virginia:
- Health Wagon clients are 21% more likely to die from diseases of the heart.
- Health Wagon clients are 14% more likely to die from diabetes.
- Health Wagon clients are 35% more likely to die from COPD.
- Health Wagon clients are 40% more likely to die from unintentional injuries.
- Health Wagon clients are 50% more likely to die from suicide.